So you’re ready to enroll in the next Somatica Training, but still have a few lingering questions about what to expect. You’ve come to the right place — this FAQ answers all of your burning questions.
About the Somatica Institute
- What Challenges Do Sex and Relationship Coaches Tackle?
- How Is the Somatica Training Different From Other Sex and Relationship Coaching Programs?
- Can I Combine the Somatica Method with Other Types of Coaching?
- Is Somatica Only for Sex and Relationship Coaches, or Can I Enroll for Personal Growth as Well?
- What Will Happen If I Miss a Weekend or a Training Day in the Somatica Training?
- What are the Certification Requirements?
- How Does the Somatica Institute Support Students in Finding Clients?
- Is There a Business and Marketing Component to this Training?
- Can I Be Fully Certified Remotely over Zoom?
- Is There an In-person Component to the Training?
- How Many Hours of Work are There Between Sessions?
- What Happens After the Certification?
- How Soon Can I Start Seeing Clients?
- What do Sex and Relationship Coaches Usually Charge?
- Do I Need to be a Licensed Professional to Practice?
- Am I Too Young or Too Old to Go Through the Program?
About the Somatica Institute
1. What Challenges Do Somatica Sex and Relationship Coaches Tackle?
They help individuals and couples:
- Overcome shame, anxiety, and insecurities surrounding sex, lovability, and their desires
- Work through sexual challenges, including erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, sex addiction, low desire, anorgasmia, pelvic pain, and delayed ejaculation
- Practice empowered dating, including conscious dating, dealing with rejection, and addressing unhealthy relationship patterns
- Boost their erotic and sensual confidence to transform sex from boring to mind-blowing
- Heal from trauma or abuse, and become empowered in the face of a trauma history
- Gain clarity about their fantasies and desires
- Learn to communicate clear boundaries
2. How Is the Somatica Training Different From Other Sex and Relationship Coaching Programs?
While many sex and relationship coaching programs promise similar experiences, our highly regarded training is sought after by aspiring coaches from all around the world.
- The Somatica training is rooted in experiential, real-time, in-person practices instead of just passive video watching. The Somatica Method goes beyond talk-based methods offered by other programs and hosts live classes focused on body-based, experiential learning. This results in a highly efficient and lasting transformation.
- Somatica offers three trainings in one: sex, relationship, and business. We not only teach you how to work with clients through both sex and relationships challenges, but we also provide marketing and business support so you can build a thriving practice. Additionally, you’ll get the chance to be added to our directory of coaches to receive potential client referrals.
- Somatica tools are widely applicable. Unlike other programs, we teach you how to work with clients across the full spectrum of sexual desires and relationship types, as well as the gender and sexuality spectrum. We are fully LGBTQIA-inclusive.
- The global Somatica network is unparalleled. Whether you need advice about a client, are looking to collaborate on a workshop or podcast, or need a supportive ear – you’ll find like-minded fellow alumni eager to connect with you.
3. Can I Combine the Somatica Method with Other Types of Coaching?
Yes! You can combine the Somatica Method with hypnotherapy, reiki, breathwork, massage, movement, dance, art, traditional therapy (while maintaining licensure boundaries), and more so that you can create your own, unique offering.
4. Is Somatica Only for Sex and Relationship Coaches, or Can I Enroll for Personal Growth as Well?
Somatica is for everyone: aspiring sex and relationship experts and coaches, licensed professionals (including marriage and family therapists, clinical social workers, and professional counselors), and individuals interested in personal growth and transformation.
5. What Will Happen If I Miss a Weekend or a Training Day in the Somatica Training?
While we recommend that you attend all of the online training sessions, we understand that life happens and things can pop up. You can miss up to 3 full days (or 6 half days) of each 6-month semester and still be on track to become a Somatica-certified sex and relationship coach. If you have to miss any additional days, you can hire a coach at a low cost to help you make up the exercises you missed.
6. What are the Certification Requirements?
Somatica certification involves completing both the Core and Advanced curriculum, then passing the certification exam. During the exam, you will present a recorded client session to a Somatica founder who will give you feedback on your work. Learn more about the certification pathway.
7. How Does the Somatica Institute Support Students in Finding Clients?
As part of the advanced curriculum, you’ll participate in marketing and business seminars to ensure you have everything you need to build a thriving practice. Once you’re certified, you can be listed on our website and can receive client referrals. We also offer mastery classes and ongoing professional supervision for you to gain more expertise in specific niches of sex and relationship coaching.
8. Is There a Business and Marketing Component to this Training?
Absolutely! In the Core Training, you’ll learn how to launch your practice. In the Advanced Training, you’ll go even deeper into marketing. You’ll receive a packet that helps you create your marketing plan. Then, through weekly ongoing marketing meetings, you’ll begin executing your strategy in real-time, finding your voice, developing your website, and networking with referral sources.
9. Can I Be Fully Certified Remotely over Zoom?
Yes, the full training and certification can be done online over Zoom. You don’t need to travel to complete the course.
10. Is There an In-person Component to the Training?
There is an optional in-person Immersion Retreat mastery class. While it’s not required for certification, the class is an invaluable addition to your training as it allows you to practice all of the hands-on exercises.
11. How Many Hours of Work are There Between Sessions?
There are about 2 – 5 hours of work per week, including reading, homework, and practice sessions.
12. What Happens After Certification?
Once you are certified by the Somatica Institute, you can be listed on our website for client referrals. The Somatica Training is also certified by the American Board of Sexology, which means you can become a certified clinical sexologist and apply to get listed on their website as well.
13. How Soon Can I Start Seeing Clients?
You can start seeing paid clients after the first six months of the training, and continue to build your practice as you go through the Advanced Course.
14. What do Sex and Relationship Coaches Usually Charge?
Coaches working in the realm of sexuality are rare and specialized. When you get to your full rate, you can charge 15% to 25% more than other coaches and therapists in your area. In the San Francisco Bay Area, for example, sex and relationship coaches are charging between $250 and $300 for a 75-minute session. [Read more about sexologist salaries.]
15. Do I Need to be a Licensed Professional to Practice?
No, sex and relationship coaches are not required to have any form of license in order to work with clients. While licensing is important for professions like therapists and social workers, a certification indicates that you have been fully trained.
16. Am I Too Young or Too Old to Go Through the Program?
You are never too old or too young to learn the tools of intimacy and help others on their journey! The Somatica Training has certified students between the ages of 19 and 85.
17. Does The Tuition Cover Both Core and Advanced?
Yes, your tuition covers the Core curriculum (modules 1-6), the Advanced curriculum (modules 7-12), and the certification exam.
18. When Are the Next Training Dates?
The 2023 Fall Somatica Training dates for the core curriculum are:
- October 13-15, 2023
- November 10-12, 2023
- December 8-10, 2023
- January 19-21, 2024
- February 16-18, 2024
- March 22-24, 2024
The 2024 Fall Somatica Training dates for the advanced curriculum are:
- October 25-27, 2024
- November 15-17, 2024
- December 13-15, 2024
- January 17-19, 2025
- February 7-9, 2025
- March 14-16, 2025
Hours: Friday - Sunday from 8:30 – 11:00am and 11:45am – 2:15pm Pacific Time (with a break from 11-11:45am)
19. Do You Offer Payment Plans?
Yes! We offer multiple payment plans. Check the tuition page for full information.
20. What Is Your Refund Policy?
If you choose to withdraw from the training 45 or more days before the first day of the program, you will be refunded all tuition paid, except for your non-refundable $500 tuition deposit and the 3% credit card processing fee.
If you choose to withdraw from the training for any reason less than 45 days before the first day of the program, you will be responsible for the full tuition payment.
21. Do You Have Scholarships Available?
We want to increase access to the Somatica Training to as many students as possible. To help offset the cost of tuition, we offer scholarships ranging from $500 to $1,000 for qualifying students.
22. Do I Have to Have a Degree to Take the Training?
No. The only prerequisite for the Somatica Training is that you have self-awareness, are emotionally mature, and are ready to undergo transformation with an open mind. If this sounds like you, submit your application here.
23. What Is the Somatica Community Like?
The Somatica community is full of people with high emotional intelligence. They are fun, sex-positive, and supportive. Somatica is all about being yourself, and the Somatica community is a place where you can feel fully accepted and celebrated. The Somatica Alumni Facebook page is active, and graduates attend events and workshops together, collaborate professionally, and create deep and lasting friendships.